If You're Gone
My background is in film and one of my favorite parts of the filmmaking process is working with the composer to create the perfect soundtrack for the movie! I picture each chapter from If You’re Gone like a scene from a movie, and I’ve created a playlist (in book order) for many of my favorite moments in the book.
1) A Thousand Years by Christina Perri- “How can I love when I’m afraid to fall?” The ultimate sappy love song, I can hear this tune playing during Lillian and Brad’s date at the lake. There is some foreshadowing in the lyrics too, which makes it 100% perfect!
2) Anywhere But Here by Safety Suit- When Brad leaves Lillian at her window, clinging to those three little words, this song would be playing as she watches him walk away. She doesn’t yet know how her life will change after that moment, and the lyrics “I wonder if maybe, maybe I could be all you ever dreamed” are just so beautiful but haunting.
3) Start of Something Good by Daughtry- One of my favorite chapters/scenes is Lillian’s memory of her encounter with Brad in the snow. As they sit in front of the fireplace, I can picture this song playing in the background. “Your whole wide world in a moment comes undone”
4) Carry You by David Cook- Although Lillian and Chris don’t have a romantic relationship, the connection between them is strong and the message in this song fits their newfound friendship. “You gotta hold on, you gotta be strong, right here with me if it all goes wrong.”
5) Rescued by Jack’s Mannequin- Lillian spends a lot of time in her room, often in her bed, thinking about Brad and trying to cope. “I’m finally numb so please don’t get me rescued".” This song would be on repeat on her iPod, along with the other two Jack’s Mannequin albums.
6) Watch Over You by Alter Bridge- “Blue skies turning grey, like my love” This song could easily play several times throughout the book, but the moment when Chris leaves Lillian at the lake I can hear the guitar starting to strum. The lyrics sound like they were written for this book- and the song can be sung from Lillian or Brad’s perspective.
7) Tell Your Heart to Beat Again by Danny Gokey- I can’t listen to this song without becoming overwhelmed with emotions. “Yesterday’s a closing door, you don’t live there anymore” is an important lyric and this song would help Lillian as she tries to re-claim her life.
8) The Sun is Rising by Britt Nicole- “You’re gonna make it, you’re gonna make it.” This track is absolutely playing when Lillian returns to Grissom lake with her friends to celebrate Brad. “The future you had hoped for is now burning, and the dreams you held so tight have lost their meaning”.
9) This is Not the Last Time by David Cook- (have a mentioned that I LOVE David Cook?) As Lillian walks home from Anna’s, she is re-energized. The lyrics “This is not a goodbye, this is just a lullaby” give her strength.
10) September by Daughtry- “Reflecting now on how things could’ve been, it was worth it in the end.” As Lillian drives Anna’s car in one of the final chapters, this track guides her home.
11) Far Away by Nickelback- *insert Nickelback comment here* Say what you will about this band, I love this song and if you read the “deleted scene” (the epilogue!) exclusively on my website, you will see why it fits perfect with this final scene that takes place eight years later. “I loved you all along, and I forgive you for being away for far too long".”
12) Never Gone by Colton Dixon- And… cut to black! Finish the book, let the credits roll in your mind, and listen to this awesome rock ballad. “With you all along, no I was never gone” speaks to Lillian’s faith as well as her relationship with Brad.
Hope you enjoyed it!